Re: TPC-R benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Oleg Lebedev
Subject Re: TPC-R benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-performance
Josh,

I declared all the indexes that you suggested and ran vacuum full
analyze. The query plan has not changed and it's still trying to use
seqscan. I tried to disable seqscan, but the plan didn't change. Any
other suggestions?
I started explain analyze on the query, but I doubt it will finish any
time soon.
Thanks.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Berkus [mailto:josh@agliodbs.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 11:27 PM
To: Oleg Lebedev; scott.marlowe
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] TPC-R benchmarks

Oleg,

> I have another question. How do I optimize my indexes for the query
> that contains a lot of ORed blocks, each of which contains a bunch of
> ANDed expressions? The structure of each ORed block is the same except

> the right-hand-side values vary.

Given the example, I'd do a multicolumn index on p_brand, p_container,
p_size
and a second multicolumn index on l_partkey, l_quantity, l_shipmode.
Hmmm
... or maybe seperate indexes, one on l_partkey and one on l_quantity,
l_shipmode & l_instruct.   Test both configurations.

Mind you, if this is also an OLTP table, then you'd want to test those
multi-column indexes to determine the least columns you need for the
still to be used, since more columns = more index maintainence.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential material intended for the named recipient only.
If you are not the named recipient, delete this message and all attachments.
Unauthorized reviewing, copying, printing, disclosing, or otherwise using information in this e-mail is prohibited.
We reserve the right to monitor e-mail sent through our network.