2 million+ entries - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Matthew Hixson
Subject 2 million+ entries
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi, I'm going to be working on a project soon that involves an SQL database.  If
I have my way it will be using PostgreSQL 6.5 on a dual PII-350 with 256 MB of
RAM and two 18GB UW2 SCSI drives (Seagate Barracudas).  However there is a
possibility that it could be running on an NT server with even beefier hardware. What I'm wondering is; is there any
problemwith Postgres handling a table

with 2 million entries in it?  Is there an NT solution that would work better?
Personally I can't stand NT, but its not really my decision to make.  This is
going to be mission critical so must remain rock solid 24x7.  (On second
thought that kindof rules out NT doesn't it...? :) Anyway here is the table structure that my project manager came up
with. I

mentioned that it might be better to put the "Subscriber Table", "Usage Table",
"Personal Information Table", "Credit Card Information Table", and "Interests
Table" all into one larger table.  So now we're wondering:  Does having
separate tables like this make sense for speeding up lookups or would it be
faster with my one large table idea?  In either case will PostgreSQL be able to
handle this much data gracefully? Thanks in advance for any insight into this.  -M@

Subscriber TableUserName (unique)PasswordActive

Usage TableUserName
(unique)DiskSpaceAuthorizedAmountDiskSpaceAuthorizedDateLastLoginFailedAttemptsDefaultDirectoryLocalDefaultDirectoryzDiskAccountCreateDateOverDrawnWarningFlagNotifyFlag

Personal Information TableUserName
(unique)FirstNameLastNameEmailAddressHomeAddress1HomeAddress2HomeCityHomeStateHomeCountryHomePostalCodeHomePhone1HomePhone2HomeFaxWorkAddress1WorkAddress2WorkCityWorkStateWorkCountryWorkPostalCodeWorkPhone1WorkPhone2WorkFaxSexBirthYearInterests

Credit Card Info TableUserName
(unique)CreditCardCardNumberIssuingBankNameOnCardExpirationDateBillingNameBillingAddress1BillingAddress2BillingCityBillingStateBillingPostalCode

Disk Space Pricing TableInitialFreeSizeNextBlockSizeNextBlockPriceQuantityDiscount

Interests TableSports - Active�Sports - Leisure�Theater�Collecting�Fashion�
--
Matthew Hixson - CIO
FroZenWave Communications