Re: Best way to "mask" password in DBLINK - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Best way to "mask" password in DBLINK
Date
List pgsql-general
>>> If I'm not mistaken, it's possible to put your password in the .pgpass
>>> file in the postgres-users home folder, on the server where the postgres
>>> cluster is running.

> You need to put it in the .pgpass file of the postgres user - the one
> that runs the server. .pgpass is dealt with by libpq, and DBLink and
> DBI-Link both use libpq to connect to the remote server.

Didn't we recently add a security fix to prevent non-superusers from
relying on the server's .pgpass file?

I think 8.4 provides a reasonable solution to this via the SQL/MED
additions.  In previous releases it's hard to find a nice place to
keep the password for a dblink connection.

            regards, tom lane