Re: why not using a mountpoint as PGDATA? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: why not using a mountpoint as PGDATA?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> writes:
> On 2/27/19 12:43 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
>> FWIW, if you want to read the whole gory details of that incident, here
>> it is:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/41D04FA4.7010402%40joeconway.com#dfc38927745e238d49569ffd5b33beba

> What in the world was that SuSE maintainer -- and the people who should have
> been looking over his shoulder -- thinking???

Well, I wouldn't blame them *that* much.  Up till that time, I don't think
anyone fully understood the hazards of auto-initdb in a startup script
(certainly none of the PG developers did).  But this has been in our
folklore long enough now that anybody who's still doing that definitely
should get yelled at ...

            regards, tom lane