Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/26/20 8:26 AM, Paul Förster wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
>> On 26. Sep, 2020, at 17:17, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/26/20 2:33 AM, Paul Förster wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> the OS here is openSUSE Leap 15.2. I downloaded the PostgreSQL 13.0 source and built it without issues like so:
>>
>>> openSUSE has no python2 anymore, only python3. The source database does not even have plpython installed:
>>
>> Actually it does:
>>
>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/python?search_term=%22python%22
>
> well, actually, it does not. There are still Python2 packages in the repo which I can happily install here at home
butnot in the company. So I will run into trouble if I install something here to make something else work, and then
takeit to the company where it does not work. So, to maintain the highest level of compatibility to the machines at
work,I don't install extra packages.

I suppose getting them to install Python 2 is out of the question? It is
an official package.

> But yes, that would be the second most proper solution. The first and utmost proper solution would be for Python to
finallystop that versioning crap after years have gone by now.

Well there is always going to be versioning. If you mean the
incompatibility split, then for 2/3 that is not going away. There will
be a Python 4, but the core developers have said they learned their
lesson and it will just be an incremental upgrade.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com