Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 3:00 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm also highly dubious about labeling this script "standard TPC-B",
>> when it resolves only some of the reasons why our traditional script
>> is not really TPC-B.  That's treading on being false advertising.

> IANAL, but it may not even be permissible to claim that we have
> implemented "standard TPC-B".

Yeah, very likely you can't legally say that unless the TPC
has certified your test.  (Our existing code and docs are quite
careful to call pgbench's version "TPC-like" or similar weasel
wording, and never claim that it is really TPC-B or even a close
approximation.)