Re: Pg 8.4.3 does not start up with "Permissions should be u=rwx (0700) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Pg 8.4.3 does not start up with "Permissions should be u=rwx (0700)
Date
Re: Pg 8.4.3 does not start up with "Permissions should be u=rwx (0700)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:08, Joseph S <jks@selectacast.net> wrote:
> I upgraded from 8.4.2 to 8.4.3, and I couldn't start postgres. This was
> printed on STDERR
>
> FATAL:  data directory "path-to-my-data-dir" has group or world access
> DETAIL:  Permissions should be u=rwx (0700).
>
> This change was not documented in the release notes, and I don't think
> permission != 700 should be a fatal error.  I purposely set o+x to let any
> user be able to read the log files.

There has been no change there. From what I can tell, that part of the
 code hasn't been touched since 2004. That shouldn've have worked in
8.4.2 either - but it's only checked on server startup, so if you
changed the mode after startup you wouldn't have noticed.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/