Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 17:32, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> If/when we are moving the main repository, we should use the first
>> one. Yes, this will invalidate all current git clones out there, but
>> that's a one-time cost. Will there be issues? Possibly. But we're
>> *never* going to get something that's *guaranteed* 100% safe, not when
>> going from something like CVS...
>
> Alvaro already mentioned the success criterion that we agreed to:
> be able to pull all of the past release tags from the repository
> and get something that matches the actual release tarballs (perhaps
> with an exception for $PostgreSQL$ tags and such).  Surely the process
> can be tested in advance.

If that's the only remaining obstacle, I'm willing to work up some
test scripts around that. But I'm not going to do that if it's going
to fall over on something else as well, because it'll be a nontrivial
amount of work to test ir properly :-)