Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 18:44, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 21:07, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
>>> Hackers,
>>>
>>> I've posted a [plan] to implement PGAN][], a CPAN for PostgreSQL extensions. I've tried to closely follow the [CPAN
philosophy][]to come up with a plan that requires a minimum-work implementation that builds on the existing PostgreSQL
toolsand the examples of the [CPAN][] and [JSAN][]. My hope is that it's full of [JFDI][]! I would be very grateful for
feedbackand suggestions.

>>> [plan]: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGAN
>>> [CPAN philosophy]: http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/12/1616209
>>> [CPAN]: http://cpan.org/
>>> [JSAN]: http://www.openjsan.org
>>> [JFDI]: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/JFDI
>>
>> One note on a completely different topic from where this thread
>> appears to have gone.. :-)
>>
>> Is there a particular reason not to use the existing mirroring network
>> to distribute the files? If not, then I suggest using them should be
>> part of the design.
>
> With StackBuilder, a package can either be listed as a path, relative
> to the FTP root on the mirror network, or using an alternate URL for
> something stored elsewhere.
>
> The current set of active mirrors can always be found at
> http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors.xml, so you can build URLs on the
> mirror network using the protocol, host, port and path from the mirror
> list, and then the relative path for the file.

Or you can hit it off the mirror redirector on the website, which will
then give you automatic download tracking.