Re: Clearing global statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Clearing global statistics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/12/7 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
>
> Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>

> I'm thinking that I should rename this new function
> to pg_stat_reset_bgwriter so it's obvious how limited its target is.
>

> I don't think it is a good name because we might have another cluster-level
> statictics not related with bgwriter in the future. I hope you will suggest
> "extensible" method when you improve this area.
>

> I follow what you mean now.  I'll take a look at allowing pg_stat_reset to act on an input as you suggested, rather
thanadding more of these UDFs for every time somebody adds a new area they want to target clearing.

I have on my TODO to implement the ability to do stats reset on a
single object (say, one table only). Please take this into
consideration when you design/name this, so theres no unnecessary
overlap :-) Same goes for the stats message itself.