Re: [HACKERS] Re: Quick cut at an autoconf tutorial - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From dg@informix.com (David Gould)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Quick cut at an autoconf tutorial
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> "Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> >> 8. There's really no substitute for reading the autoconf manual ;-).
>
> > Sure, didn't even know one existed. Don't know if it is shipped on my
> > machine, and don't know where to look for one.
> > Oh boy, maybe I'll get to use GNU info! Not. Is there a hardcopy or html
> > version somewhere? *sigh*
>
> Picky picky.  The manual comes with the autoconf distribution tarball.
> The master copy is in GNU "texinfo" format, looks like.  I always use
> the GNU-info-format version of it, which gets installed automatically
> by autoconf's install script.  But this is convenient for me because
> I use the One True Editor, Emacs ;-) ;-).  If you don't live in Emacs
> then I agree info format is less than convenient.

There is also 'tkinfo' which makes reading info files fairly painless.

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects. -