Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 occasionally slow down - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ho Fat Tsang
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 occasionally slow down
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 occasionally slow down  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi Richard,

   I have tuned the checkpoint_timeout to 30 second which is ten times less than default and the issue is still reproduced. Do you have any recommended configuration for WAL ?

Thanks
Twinsen

2007/6/28, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>:
Ho Fat Tsang wrote:

>   I am new for postgresql server. And now i work on a projects which
> requires postgreSQL 8.0 and Java. I don't know why the server occasionally
> slow down a bit for every 3 minutes.

> Do anyone can help me about this ? or any resolution for a sudden
> performance degrade ( because the application i need to develop is quite
> time-critical).

It's probably checkpointing. PG will write updates to the transaction
log (WAL) immediately and update the main data files later. Every so
often it makes sure the data files are up-to-date and this is called
checkpointing.

You want checkpointing to happen more often, not less. That way the load
will be less each time it happens. See the manual for details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd