Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 8:42 PM, James Keener <jim@jimkeener.com> wrote:
>> The question is: how can you (honestly) make people feel like we'll take
>> complaints seriously, while also not allowing for the politics that I've
>> seen surround recent incarnations of Codes of Conduct?

> At the end I see signals in the current CoC that make me hopeful.  Phrases
> like "common interest" occur.  There are some minor changes I think would
> help avoid problems.  But they aren't big deals.  The big thing is I trust
> our community not to exclude people based, for example, on political or
> cultural perspectives and thats really important.

The one thing that gives me any hope of success is that this has
historically been an apolitical community, so that these sorts of problems
don't naturally arise.  As long as it stays that way, I think a CoC can
work to smooth out edge-case situations.  I tend to agree that a CoC
could not fix tensions in a community that naturally needs to deal with
political or religious issues.  If someone tries to inflame political or
religious feelings among the PG community, I hope we have the sense to
walk away.  (Maybe we could put something in the CoC about that, but
I have the sense that it'd do more harm than good.)

            regards, tom lane