Re: Support UTF-8 files with BOM in COPY FROM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Support UTF-8 files with BOM in COPY FROM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> Suppose a user uses brain-dead editor, which does not accept UTF-8
>> without BOM.

> Maybe this needs to be an optional behavior, controlled by some COPY option.

I'm not excited about emitting non-standards-conformant output on the
strength of a hypothetical argument about users and editors that may or
may not exist.  I believe that there's a use-case for reading BOMs, but
I have seen no field complaints demonstrating that we need to write
them.  Even if we had a couple, "use a less brain dead editor" might be
the best response.  We cannot promise to be compatible with arbitrarily
broken software.