Re: PostgreSQL License - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: PostgreSQL License
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Sep 18, 2019, at 12:17 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/18/19 11:06 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>> On 9/18/19 11:50 AM, Ashkar Dev wrote:
>>> Hi all thanks,
>>> I meant maybe I create a web app with PostgreSQL that work locally for example for a pharmacy that stores data by
barcodewhile the DB was created by PostgreSQL how I can sell the Database for him, how to deliver the product to him
canI sell the package that contains web app files with PostgreSQL software and the database code?

>> You can charge the pharmacist for your efforts: your web app (license), installing postgres and your schema
(somewhere)and the data supporting your web-app, any documentation of your web-app and schema, any maintenance and
supportyou care to specify. You can copy-right your app and schema and data.
>> You cannot (legitimately) charge the pharmacist for any part PostgresQL.
>
> Why not?
>
> Pretty sure that is what third parties are doing with their forks of Postgres.

I see your point, but aren’t they in essence charging for their efforts in making, managing their fork.  There are
plentyof vendors, for a time I was one, who happily apply a schema to which ever database the client supplied (mssql,
ora,pg in my case).