Re: [HACKERS] Audio interview - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Rick Gigger
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Audio interview
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Feb 8, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:43:40PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I did an audio interview today, and it is online now:
>>>
>>>   http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2006/02/bsdtalk015-interview-with-
>>> postgresql.html
>>
>> Great interview.  You hit a lot of the high points :)
>>
>> You mentioned in-place upgrade scripts.  Are those in contrib/
>> somewhere?  On GBorg?  On PgFoundry?  If not, could you put them
>
>     /contrib/pgupgrade
>
>> somewhere?  As far as converting them from shell to Perl, I'm sure
>> you'll find a flock of volunteers to help.
>
> Yea, but the problem with modifying the disk pages is still a problem.

Maybe this is totally crazy, but for those not using slony but are
using incremental backup and want to upgrade without doing a time
consuming dump / reload (this is not actually a problem for me as my
data is not so large that a dump reload is a huge problem) would it
be possible to apply pgupgrade to the physical backup before you
restore, then also alter each WAL record as it is restored so that it
restores all new pages in the new format.

Then you could do all the work on a different box and quickly switch
over to it after the restore is complete.  You could eliminate most
of the downtime.

Is that even feasible?  Not something that would help me now but it
might make some people very happy (and maybe someday I will need it
as well.)

Rick