Re: Restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Restore
Date
List pgsql-general
Version 8.4.1
OS Win 7
I connect through PG Admin (plus an interface I use when the database is up
and running)
The password for this connection is the password I set up during the
installation. this is the same password I am using for the restore
connection.
I haven`t done anything for the postgres user other than what PG Admin uses.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 4:09 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Cc: Bob Pawley ; bricklen
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Restore

On Friday 24 December 2010 4:03:52 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> I have tried this a number of times -
> psql –U postgres PDW < PDW_June_10.sql. (with and without spaces between U
> & postgres and/or < and PDW_June)
>
> Sometimes I am asked for a postgres password, once I was asked for the PDW
> password (this makes sense and which I did enter).
>
> When I entered the password it either said password failed or it simply
> went back to the root command.
>
> No database information was sent.
>
> pg_hba.conf sets method as md5
>
> I don't know what is meant by your reference to  \1.
>
> Bob

Lets go back to the beginning.
Basic info:
Pg version
OS
How do you normally connect to the database?
Have you set up passwords for Postgres users?
Remember Postgres users are not the same as system users. So when it asking
for
a password it is for the Postgres users password not the system users
password
of the same name.

--
Adrian Klaver