Re: Postgres stats collector showing high disk I/O - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres stats collector showing high disk I/O
Date
List pgsql-general
> Excerpts from Justin Pasher's message of jue may 20 16:10:53 -0400 2010:
>> Whenever I clear out the stats for all of the databases, the file
>> shrinks down to <1MB. However, it only takes about a day for it to get
>> back up to ~18MB and then the stats collector process start the heavy
>> disk writing again.

> I wonder if we should make pgstats write one file per database (plus one
> for shared objects), instead of keeping everything in a single file.
> That would reduce the need for reading and writing so much.

Well, the real problem here is the OP is running 8.1, so he isn't
getting the benefit of any of the subsequent changes to reduce the
stats file I/O.  I suspect the bloat also comes from a
subsequently-fixed bug, but not totally sure about that yet.

            regards, tom lane