Re: PostgreSQL 13 Beta 1 Release Announcement Draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 13 Beta 1 Release Announcement Draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

On 5/18/20 10:40 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 13
> Beta 1 release this week.
>
> The goal of this release announcement is to make people aware of the new
> features that are introduced in PostgreSQL 13 and, importantly, get them
> to start testing. I have tried to include a broad array of features that
> can noticeably impact people's usage of PostgreSQL. Note that the order
> of the features in the announcement are not in any particular ranking
> (though I do call out VACUUM as being one of the "most anticipated
> features"), but are my efforts to try and tell a story about the release.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts, comments, corrections, etc. and also
> if there are any glaring omissions[1]. Please let me know your feedback
> before the end of Wed. May 20 AOE (i.e. before the release ships).
>
> Thanks for your review!

Ditto above^ :)

Thanks everyone for your responses (a note on that in a sec). I have
attached an update to the release, which will be close to and/or the
final copy that goes out tomorrow.

Based on the feedback received, I accepted & declined changes based on
a) how it impacts our users at large b) if an expression was actually
wrong vs. personal preference of explanation. For (a), there is an
existing note in the announcement to read the release notes as there may
be some features that are more interesting to the reader than what may
be described. As mentioned, the goal is to try to have the release
announcement as a springboard into what people can use/test.

I also received an interesting amount of off-list feedback this
iteration. While I generally do not mind chatting (this week an
unfortunate exception and I apologize if I did not reply back to you), I
do ask as part of the collaborative process to try to keep feedback on
list so as to limit duplication of comments.

Anyway, I am happy to receive and incorporate additional feedback up
until we launch tomorrow ~12 UTC.

Thanks! Happy Beta eve :)

Jonathan

Attachment