Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
Re: postgre vs MySQL  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-general
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm really hoping Sun will put a stop to such behavior, but wonder if
> they'll do anything at all.

> Sadly, the worst problem with the behavior re mysql releases is that
> it trains DBAs to NOT install updates.  In fairness, I know quite a
> few Oracle DBAs who won't install patches right away either.

It's worse than that: it also trains repackagers to not be too quick on
the draw to adopt a mysql update release.  I can tell you that new mysql
updates don't get into Fedora, let alone RHEL, till they've been around
at least a month or two.  That's not laziness on my part; that's the
burnt child shunning the fire.

            regards, tom lane