Re: statement timeout vs dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: statement timeout vs dump/restore
Date
Re: statement timeout vs dump/restore  ("Zeugswetter Andreas OSB sIT" <Andreas.Zeugswetter@s-itsolutions.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Do we want the following:

> 1. pg_dump issues "set statement_timeout = 0;" to the database prior to
> taking its copy of data (yes/no/default-but-switchable)
> 2. pg_dump/pg_restore issue "set statement_timeout = 0;" in text mode
> output (yes/no/default-but-switchable)
> 3. pg_restore issues "set statement_timeout = 0;" to the database in
> restore mode (yes/no/default-but-switchable)

I think "yes" for all three.  There was some handwaving about someone
maybe not wanting it, but an utter lack of convincing use-cases; so
I see no point in going to the effort of providing a switch.

Note that 2 and 3 are actually the same thing (if you think they are
not, then you are putting the behavior in the wrong place).