Re: Postgres batch write very slow - what to do - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From femski
Subject Re: Postgres batch write very slow - what to do
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ok, I turned off XDMCP and network bandwidth utilization dropped to less than
5%.
Timings remained the same.

Curiously five times faster time for Oracle came from a client running on a
different host than the server.
To make things worse for Postgres, when I replace "hostname" in jdbc string
to "localhost" or 127.0.0.1
it runs another 60% slower (446 sec vs 275 sec). Strange.

Before I take this discussion to jdbc list, why is CPU utilization 100%
during insert ? could that be a bottleneck. How to eliminate it ? These are
Intel WordCrest  5110 Xeon cores.

thank you

-Sanjay