Re: moving a backup from on-prem linux to azure - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From SAS
Subject Re: moving a backup from on-prem linux to azure
Date
List pgsql-admin
Le 12/11/2019 à 16:31, Mark Steben a écrit :
Thank you for your prompt response Nawaz.  We have used slony in the past and can consider it again.
I was thinking as an alternative to perform an in-place upgrade (9.4 to 11.5) on the on-prem server, then setting up streaming replication to azure.  Is that possible?

If you can set up an Azure PG has a replica, you should be able to do it that way.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 8:45 PM Ahmed, Nawaz (Fuji Xerox Australia) <Nawaz.Ahmed@aus.fujixerox.com> wrote:

I would suggest using Slony to setup a replication slave (PG9.6 or even PG12) on the azure server and disconnect the replica from source (PG9.4) once everything is migrated across. And, you would have upgraded to the latest version and migrated to Azure in a single approach. Please visit http://www.slony.info/ for the exact approach but I reckon it is from a 9.3 to 9.4 within an on-prem setup. However, in your case you just have to replace the on-prem steps of the replica with Azure config.From: Mark Steben <mark.steben@drivedominion.com>

Sent: Tuesday, 12 November 2019 6:22 AM
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
Subject: moving a backup from on-prem linux to azure

Good afternoon,

We are contemplating moving our linux based production postgres database to our Azure subscription.  What is the most common method of moving a pg_dump file to azure to perform a pg_restore?  (We are running postgres 9.4 - I realize we would have to upgrade to at least 9.6 to restore to azure).

Any comments welcome.  Thank you,

--
Dr Stéphane Schildknecht
Contact régional PostgreSQL pour l'Europe francophone