Re: Proposed Feature - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Proposed Feature
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> I fully agree with the not part of the default installation. And
>> make it
>> easy to turn the thing off.
>>
>> In that respect it sound like a good feature for developer systems
>> (not
>> servers per se). Just ensure for a small memory footprint, preferably
>> within a few 100 KB of memory. If you are going over 1 MB you are
>> seriously doing something wrong. (Obviously that might be acceptable
>> when I'm actively using it, but otherwise it should keep memory
>> usage as
>> low as resonably possible).
>
> Good point. I could hack it up in C# in 15 minutes, and it'd be a 32Kb
> EXE file. But it'd use 15-20Mb RAM at least, making it completely
> unacceptable of course. So that's absolutely an important figure.

For something with such trivial functionality, using your application
framework of choice (C#, Java, MFC, Qt, Delphi) is, however tempting,
not going to be a good fit, for dependency reasons as much as
resource usage.

But it's probably under a couple of hundred lines of c/win32, and
wouldn't be too hard to cobble together.

Cheers,
   Steve