Re: [pgsql-www] UKPUG and using the PUGs site - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] UKPUG and using the PUGs site
Date
Re: [pgsql-www] UKPUG and using the PUGs site
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only 30 in the whole of the UK?  That's quite depressing.  Looks like
> the advocacy work has been cut out for all of us.

Yeah - but I think a lot of the problem is that we simply don't know
who the PostgreSQL users are. We ran a booth at LinuxLive/MacLive last
year, with Greg, Simon, Gianni and I spending time manning it, and as
well as a lot of people who didn't know PostgreSQL, I remember there
being quite a few that did - it's just that they don't hang out in the
community, so don't necessarily hear about the events that we plan.

> Well unfortunately Oxford is a bit far from where I live in Sussex,
> about 90 miles I think.  Not outside the realms of possibility though.
>  After all, a guy from my local sign language class travelled from
> Oxford every week.

Yeah, that does seem pretty far for an ad-hoc meeting. Sounds like we
need someone to organise something thats worth making the effort for
:-)

> Thanks for the encouragement Dave.  I may end up doing just that,
> although may be a bit out of my depth (even though I'm called the
> "PostgreSQL guru" at work... very far from it though).  I've never
> partaken in any real-world user groups as there have never been any
> for anything I've personally been interested in.  We'll see how things
> develop. :D  And don't worry, I have no plans on taking on an entire
> conference.  That's a terrifying prospect, at least at the moment.

Yeah, that is pretty daunting. Actually, the main reason I said to
contact me was so that we could talk to UKUUG about piggy-backing on
one of their conferences again. That saves a *lot* of work.

BTW - PGDay.EU in Paris, November 6 - 7th. Will we see you there?

http://2009.pgday.eu/start.

--
Dave Page