Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Greg Smith<gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:

> 6) Normally to change the locale you have to shutdown the database, delete
> its data directory, and then run the "initdb" command with appropriate
> options to use an alternate locale.  I thought the one-click installer
> handled that though--the screen shots at
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/learning/pginst_guide.do show the "Advanced
> Options" page allowing one to set the locale.  This is really the wrong list
> for that questions--if you still have trouble there, try sending something
> with *just* that one to the pgsql-general list instead.  From the replies
> you've gotten here you can see everyone is fixed on the performance
> questions, and this one is buried at the bottom of your long message.

On Windows, the installer will always use utf-8, as it's the only
encoding we know should work with any locale on that platform (and
there's no easy way of figuring out other combinations without trying
them). We intentionally don't make SQL_ASCII available, as we consider
that to be an 'expert' choice which regularly gets misused. To get
round that if you really need to, either manually init a new cluster
using initdb, or do something like:

CREATE DATABASE foo WITH ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII' TEMPLATE template0;

to get a single database in SQL_ASCII.

--
Dave Page