Re: Archives policy - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Archives policy
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>> OK, well I've removed the bit about removing illegal/unwanted
>> material. FWIW, we *will* remove such unwanted content, otherwise we
>> could easily become an online archive for pr0n/warez etc. which will
>> certainly not do our reputation any good.
>
> Now that you've hashed that out, would you explain *how* would you
> actually remove the posts?  It requires editing the majordomo archive
> store, but I don't think many people has access to that ... I know I
> don't for one (and I keep wondering why, seeing how I am the de facto
> archives maintainer).

Yeah, thanks for raising that! If we catch inappropriate messages
almost immediately, it should just be a case of stopping mhonarc from
running and deleting the messages from the mbox file. If they've been
there are while (and renumbering messages will be a problem), then
we'll need to hack the file to blank out the undesirable message body
I guess. That's the bit I describe as 'error prone' :-)

Regarding access, I guess you never needed access in the past (or
people like me were just being too dense to realise you did) so it
never got raised. I have no objection FWIW.

--
Dave Page