Re: Some suggestions for the non Linux installers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Some suggestions for the non Linux installers
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Russell Hltn <russellhltn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> But still: I think it is a much better strategy to *not* put the data dir
>> into the program directory.
>>

> Microsoft abandoned that model after W95/98/(ME?).  A new model came
> out in Win2000, but rarely followed.  MS got out the big ruler and
> whacked peoples knuckles in Vista.  That's why Vista is giving
> everyone fits.
>
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE% or %APPDATA% gives the proper starting locations for
> storing data.  Unfortunately it seems like most Windows developers
> didn't get the memo, so it's not a unique issue to pgsql.

There are potential problems  with storing data in such locations -
they may be on network shares, or be roaming directories for example.
It also makes it difficult for other users to edit the config files if
they're tucked away in the service accounts profile directory.

I imagine it is for similar reasons that Microsoft SQL Server also
defaults to storing its data under the installation directory.

--
Dave Page