Re: Some suggestions for the non Linux installers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Some suggestions for the non Linux installers
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:

> OK, that's good news, but then those failures need to have a different
> source. But interesting enough the problems were all caused by wrong
> permissions (just look at the thread I pointed to in dbforums).

Probably because on Windows they filesystem permissions have a million
and one ways to be configured.

>> If you can supply an installation log that would help diagnose the
>> problem.
>
> I'll ask them, but I doubt I can get hold of them.
> Where would the log be stored?

/tmp on Mac, %TEMP% for the installing user on windows.

>> Well, we intentionally don't do that in the one-click installers for
>> precisely the reason you give above!
>
> You mean for security reasons?

No, I mean for simplicity.

> Hmm. But isn't that essential to a DBMS to be able to be contacted from the
> outside?

Not at all. Developer workstations, and even fairly busy websites
might be confined to a single machine. I would wager that such
installations might account for >50% of our installations.

--
Dave Page