Re: Server Status window work - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Server Status window work
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>  * Replace the wxNotebook widget with the wxAuiNotebook so users can
>>    close tabs and rearrange tabs order via drag-and-drop.
>>

> This is done in the attached patch. frmStatus.xrc should be removed, all
> the widgets are created in frmStatus.cpp.

Doesn't seem to make much difference on OS X. I certainly can't
rearrange tabs etc.

>>  * Add the possibility to open many Server Status windows (we can
>>    already do this with the SQL query tool) so a user can see many
>>    reports at the same time.
>>

> Works too.

Yup.

>>  * Add a dockable toolbar to enable changing connection server, timer
>>    slider, filter and sort options.
>>

> I'm wondering if I should add this and a menubar. My idea is to work
> with panes and make it possible to add many panes in a same window. Each
> pane will handle one type of report : activity, locks, transactions,
> logfile.

Yep, could do - even if it just has a view & file menu.

>>  * Colour coding for the backend lines. Say green for running OK, orange
>>    for running, but with the query time being past a configurable limit,
>>    blue for idle, and red when waiting for a lock etc.
>>

> Dave, this one is from you. Where do you want to put the configuration
> of the server status. In the options dialog already available? I add a
> notebookpage with all server status parameters?

That would seem sensible

>>  * The ability to select a running backend, and copy the query straight
>>    into a new query tool window (caveat: the stats command string may be
>>    truncated, and still contain parameter placeholders).
>>
>>  * Ability to select a backend process and display just the locks
>>    it's holding, and the one it's waiting on.
>>

> For these two, a contextual menu seems a good choice. Other ideas?

Potentially difficult to use without a mouse - but you could add a
top-level menu option as well.

/D

--
Dave Page