Re: Pains in upgrading to 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Pains in upgrading to 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Tony Caduto
<tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> wrote:
> paul rivers wrote:
>  >>
>  > Going from 8.2.4 and 8.2.6 to 8.3.0 has been painless for me.
>  > However, unlike the blogger you cite, I read the directions before,
>  > not after, attempting it.
>

>  The blogger has a point about pg_dump and restore, it could be much
>  better, for example
>  the backup process could be part of the server core and instead of
>  having a fat client where most of the process is running on the client,
>  a API could be
>  used where the backup is generated on the server and then have options
>  where it could be left on the server or transferred to the clients PC.

Not really an option - the reason it's recommended to use the new
pg_dump version with the older server when upgrading is to allow the
dump to be made in the way most compatible with the new server,
effectively doing some of the upgrade process as part of the dump
operation.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company