Re: Lock problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Lock problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Eduardo Piombino <drakorg@gmail.com> writes:
> I don't see how a new update to the same record in A, makes the difference
> to allow or deny the lock on a row on table B;

I think it's probably explained by this:

> PS: The only relation between A and B is that A has a two FKs to B, but none
> of them are even included in the updates.

IIRC there are some optimizations in the FK stuff that don't apply once
a single transaction has updated a relevant row more than once.  You
haven't given enough details (not even a PG version) to be sure about
it, but that's what I'd bet on.

            regards, tom lane