Re: first time odbc - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Marc Fromm
Subject Re: first time odbc
Date
List pgsql-odbc
This is my pg_hba.conf file. I replaced x's with my ip address.
If I comment line 74, then no one can odbc to postgresql.
Lines 1 - 67 are all just commented text.

 68 # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
 69
 70 # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
 71 local   all         all                               trust
 72 # IPv4 local connections:
 73 host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
 74 host    all         all         xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.0.0       md5
 75 # IPv6 local connections:
 76 host    all         all         ::1/128               trust

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond O'Donnell [mailto:rod@iol.ie]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:48 AM
To: Marc Fromm
Cc: postgresql@finner.de; pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] first time odbc

On 30/03/2011 15:54, Marc Fromm wrote:
> I only want the users to read data, thus I removed superuser and
> applied grant select.

Good stuff.

> If the listen_address is not a client filter, would it still be better
> to only have it listen to localhost and the few ip addresses that will
> need to odbc to the postgres database? Is it just not possible to
> assign listen_address = 'localhost, 1.ip.address, 2.ip.address'?

You're still misunderstanding listen_addresses - it has *nothing* to do with client addresses.

Example: I have a server with two network interfaces, a.b.c.x and a.b.c.y. If I want PG to listen on both interfaces, I
canset listen_addresses = '*' (or list the two addresses explicitly). If I want it to listen *only* on a.b.c.x, then I
setlisten_addresses='a.b.c.x'.

> One other thing still, if in the pg_hba.conf file I do not include any
> ip addresses I cannot connect to the database. If I enter just one ip
> address, any computer can connect to the database, even though some
> machines have static ip addresses and others have dhcp address from a
> completely different subnet. Do you know why this is? I figured the
> pg_hba.conf file controlled access by ip address, based on other
> googled articles.

Can you show us your pg_hba.conf?

Ray.

--