Re: OT - select + must have from - sql standard syntax? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Antoine
Subject Re: OT - select + must have from - sql standard syntax?
Date
List pgsql-performance
> > The spec does require a FROM clause in SELECT (at least as of SQL99, did
> > not check SQL2003).  However, it's clearly mighty useful to allow FROM
> > to be omitted for simple compute-this-scalar-result problems.  You
> > should respond to the Oracle guy that "SELECT whatever FROM dual" is not
> > in the standard either (certainly the spec does not mention any such
> > table).

Thanks for your answers guys. I was pretty sure DUAL wasn't in the
standard (never seen it outside an oracle context) but wasn't at all
sure about the FROM.
Cheers
Antoine
ps. shame the standard isn't "freely" consultable to save you guys
silly OT questions!

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.