Re: Cannot connect to server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Filip Rembiałkowski
Subject Re: Cannot connect to server
Date
List pgsql-general
2008/9/5 Paul Shapley <p.shapley@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>

> I am attempting to 'add a connection' to the postgres database using
> pgadminlll v_1.8.4, postgresql v 8.3.3 -  1 with PostGis 1.3.3 on Mac OS
> 10.5.4.
>

> After an initial installation it may connect successfully for a couple of
> days before I'm unable to connect anymore. It is always the same pattern.
>

> I've tried the recommendations offered on the postgresql community pages but
> nothing seems to work. I've made the usual changes to:
>

> postgreql.conf ('*' instead of 'localhost')
>
> pg_hba.conf
>

> but cannot get any further than this error:-
>

> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to server: No such file or
> directory
>
>           Is the server running locally and accepting
>
>           connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

the question included in above error message is quite important.

is the server running (see process list, ps ax | grep postgres)
does the socket file exist? (see filesystem, ls -l /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432)

it's possible that the client tries to connect via non-existing
socket. it happens when server config is different from compiled-in
defaults for socket location.

in this case try to connect via TCP,  this should help.

--
Filip Rembiałkowski