Re: Error on compile for Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Error on compile for Windows
Date
Re: Error on compile for Windows  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> On 2/11/2009 11:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004/euc_jis_2004_and_shift_jis_2004.c
>> We have seen reports of certain versions of "tar" failing to extract
>> this file from the source tarball, probably because its name is so
>> long.  That could have happened to you --- if so, the recommendation
>> is to find another tool to un-tar with.

> I almost wonder if a `configure' test to detect this particular form of
> source tree corruption would be helpful.

If we were going to expend any effort on this problem, my vote would be
to rename the file to something less carpal-tunnel-promoting.  There's
no real reason it couldn't be euc2004_and_sjis2004.c or some such.

The problem with doing anything is that we have only a couple of reports
and so no solid picture of what the restriction is.

            regards, tom lane