Re: [HACKERS] Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 02/22/2017 10:21 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Only in the catalog though, not the datums, right? I would think you
>> could just change the oid in the catalog the same as you would for a
>> table column.

> No, in the datums.

Yeah, I don't see any way that we could fob off float timestamps to an
extension that would be completely transparent at the pg_upgrade level.
And even a partial solution would be an enormous amount of fundamentally
dead-end work.

There has never been any project policy that promises everybody will be
able to pg_upgrade until the end of time.  I think it's not unreasonable
for us to say that anyone still using float timestamps has to go through
a dump and reload to get to v10.  The original discussion about getting
rid of them was ten years ago come May; that seems long enough.