Re: shared_buffer optimization - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: shared_buffer optimization
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> Every single piece of advice I've seen on shared_buffers comes from the
> 7.x era, when our buffer management was extremely simplistic. IMO all of
> that knowledge was made obsolete when 8.0 came out, and our handling of
> shared_buffers has improved ever further since then. This is definately
> an area that could use a lot more testing.

Actually I think it was probably 8.1 that made the significant
difference there, by getting rid of the single point of contention
for shared-buffer management.  I concur that 7.x-era rules of thumb
may well be obsolete --- we need some credible scaling tests ...

            regards, tom lane