Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> OK, new idea.  What about, instead of having the last name be all-caps,
> we have the last name start with an uppercase letter, then use smallcaps
> for the rest of the last name:
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_caps
> That way, the last name will not appear too large, but will be clear as
> something different from other names.  Peter, I assume small-caps is
> possible.

FWIW, I vote strongly against having any contributor names in caps in the
release notes.  It would be visually distracting, and it would make the
name look like the most important thing in the entry, while in point of
fact it's the *least* important.  (Maybe not to the contributor, but
certainly to anybody else.)

For pretty much the same reason, I'm not in favor of small caps either.
Even assuming we can do that consistently (which I bet we can't; we
do not have all that much control over how web browsers render HTML),
it would be calling attention to itself, which is exactly not the result
I think we should be after.