NOTIFY man page still recommends rules - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject NOTIFY man page still recommends rules
Date
List pgsql-docs
The NOTIFY man page writes

   When <command>NOTIFY</command> is used to signal the occurrence of
changes
   to a particular table, a useful programming technique is to put the
   <command>NOTIFY</command> in a rule that is triggered by table updates.

Is using rules here still best practice?  This was probably written
before statement triggers were available.

Even if yes, we might want to explain why, since we generally discourage
rule use otherwise.