Re: viewing source code - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Trevor Talbot
Subject Re: viewing source code
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/18/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:05:46 -0600
> "Roberts, Jon" <Jon.Roberts@asurion.com> wrote:

> > If we are talking about enhancement requests, I would propose we
> > create a role that can be granted/revoked that enables a user to see
> > dictionary objects like source code.  Secondly, users should be able
> > to see their own code they write but not others unless they have been
> > granted this dictionary role.

> You are likely not going to get any support on an obfuscation front.
> This is an Open Source project :P

Wait, what? This is a DBMS, with some existing security controls
regarding the data users are able to access, and the proposal is about
increasing the granularity of that control. Arbitrary function bodies
are just as much data as anything else in the system.

Obfuscation would be something like encrypting the function bodies so
that even the owner or administrator cannot view or modify the code
without significant reverse engineering. I mean, some people do want
that sort of thing, but this proposal isn't even close.

Where on earth did "obfuscation" come from?