Help needed in Search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Siva Palanisamy
Subject Help needed in Search
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi All,

I am trying to retrieve the contact names based on the keyed search string. It performs good for the English alphabets and behaves strangely for special chars such as _,/,\,%

My query in the function is similar to

SELECT contact_name FROM contacts WHERE LOWER(contact_name) LIKE LOWER('_McDonald%') ORDER BY LOWER(contact_name) ASC LIMIT 1;

It looks like, during searching, it retrieves all the contact names instead of the desired. The similar bizarre happens for the above mentioned special chars. I need to support these. How do I educate postgres to consider these chars? Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards,

Siva.

::DISCLAIMER::