Re: updated emacs configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: updated emacs configuration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The idea is a very good one in principle, but my short experiment with
> the provided .dir-locals.el didn't give me BSD style brace indentation.
> It works if we can do those "unsafe" things, but then we surely don't
> want to have a user prompted to accept the settings each time. If
> .dir-locals.el won't do what we need on its own, it seems to me hardly
> worth having.

I'm un-thrilled with this as well, though for a slightly different
reason: we have a policy that the PG sources should be tool agnostic,
and in fact removed file-local emacs settings awhile back because of
that.  Even though I use emacs, I would much rather keep such settings
in my personal library.  (TBH, I keep enable-local-variables turned off,
and would thus get no benefit from the proposed file anyhow.)

Another thing I'm not too happy about is that the proposed patch
summarily discards the information we had about how to work with older
emacs versions.  I'm not sure it will actually break anybody's setup,
but that would depend on whether .dir-locals.el was added before or
after the last round of rewriting of c-mode.