Re: PostgreSQL 12: Cryptic documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Cryptic documentation
Date
List pgsql-docs
> As with most things there is always room for improvement.  In this case,
> though, I'm not seeing anything wrong with the direct wording provided.

Also, it's under a heading that says "The following command-line options
control the location and format of the output", which ought to make it
clear that it's not about the source server's WAL dir.  (Although I notice
that whoever added the --max-rate parameter didn't read that heading :-()

Still, I see that the main -D parameter is described as "Directory to
write the output to", which seems like a clearer phrasing, so I'm inclined
to similarly reword the description of --waldir.

A more direct criticism of the --waldir description is that it's not
stated what happens if you don't provide that argument.

I notice some shaky grammar and other minor annoyances in this page,
so I'm kind of inclined to make an editorial pass over the whole thing.

            regards, tom lane