Re: Best database model for canvassing (and analysing) opinion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sebastian Tennant
Subject Re: Best database model for canvassing (and analysing) opinion
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoth Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>:

[...]

> The only table that's really needed to solve your original problem would
> be the last one, but the others provide all the checks that the data
> is actually going in correctly and may or may not be useful depending
> on your problem.  The main thing to notice is lots of tables with few
> columns, the reason being is that the database normally takes care of
> the rows and you, the DBA/programmer, take care of the columns.  Thus
> the more work you can give to the database the better.

[...]

> Hope that gives you some ideas!

More than enough ideas.  Thank you _very_ much.

Presenting this kind of 'distributed' data in a useful way is more difficult
(at least for me) but I can see now that this is what _relational_ databses are
all about, and that once you've grasped how to do this, the advantages are
legion.

Many thanks once again.

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.