Connecting to the database server - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From LWATCDR
Subject Connecting to the database server
Date
List pgsql-novice
I think I got the data moved over from my old server. Now I am trying
to connect to the server with pgadminIII
I went into the postgers.conf and made these the changes I thought I
needed for me to log on and I did a restart but it is still telling me
that it can not connect.
Also I am getting a problem when I try to install the pg-DBD from yum.
I probably just need to go perl to install that I hope.

# - Connection Settings -

listen_addresses = '*'          # what IP address(es) to listen on;
                                        # comma-separated list of addresses;
                                        # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
                                        # (change requires restart)
port = 5432                             # (change requires restart)
max_connections = 100                   # (change requires restart)
# Note: increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per
# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).  You
# might also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.
#superuser_reserved_connections = 3     # (change requires restart)
#unix_socket_directory = ''             # (change requires restart)
#unix_socket_group = ''                 # (change requires restart)
unix_socket_permissions = 0777          # octal
                                        # (change requires restart)
#bonjour_name = ''                      # defaults to the computer name
                                        # (change requires restart)

# - Security & Authentication -

#authentication_timeout = 1min          # 1s-600s
#ssl = off                              # (change requires restart)
#password_encryption = on
#db_user_namespace = off

# Kerberos
#krb_server_keyfile = ''                # (change requires restart)
#krb_srvname = 'postgres'               # (change requires restart)
#krb_server_hostname = ''               # empty string matches any keytab entry
                                        # (change requires restart)
#krb_caseins_users = off                # (change requires restart)

# - TCP Keepalives -
# see 'man 7 tcp' for details

#tcp_keepalives_idle = 0                # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
                                        # 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_interval = 0            # TCP_KEEPINTVL, in seconds;
                                        # 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_count = 0               # TCP_KEEPCNT;
                                        # 0 selects the system default