Re: PostgreSQL as a Service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PostgreSQL as a Service
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/18/19 9:06 AM, Dirk Riehle wrote:
Please reply to list also.
Ccing list.

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, 16:56 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>

>      > So, back to my main question above. If I wanted to run a DBaaS
>     shop with
>      > only PostgreSQL open source, how far away from being able to compete
>      > with AWS or Azure (or YugaByte for that matter) would I be?
>
>     The difference in resources available. The pull of DBaaS as I see it is
>     the being able to spin up db's as needed on a scale needed from one or
>     more locations. All with a unified management fronted/API. Being
>     competitive means being able to match that.
>

> Yes that's the point. I'm not aware of an open source DBaaS software
> layer for PostgreSQL. Are there any attempts?

I missed that, I thought you where referring only to the Postgres
database component only. So you want the management infrastructure to be
Open Source also. I am not aware of any, but I don't work in the DBaaS
field so take my observation in that light.

> Cheers, Dirk
>

>      >
>      > Thanks for any thoughts and opinions! Dirk
>      >

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver