RE: AW: Backup, restore & pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: AW: Backup, restore & pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >I like the pg_{import,export} names myself ... *nod*
> >

> Sounds fine also; but we have compatibility issues in that we
> still need pg_dump. Maybe just a symbolic link to pg_export.

Yes, we still need in pg_dump, because of pg_dump is thing
quite different from WAL based backup/restore. pg_dump
is utility to export data in system independant format
using standard SQL commands (with COPY extension) and WAL
based backup system is to export *physical* data files
(and logs). So, pg_dump should be preserved asis.

Vadim