Re: Notice about EDB downloads - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Notice about EDB downloads
Date
Re: Notice about EDB downloads  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-www
> On 5 Nov 2021, at 15:12, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov  5, 2021 at 10:28:33AM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 4 Nov 2021, at 22:24, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 8:54 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
>>
>>> While in there, could you also add the 14 release to the version tables on
>>> those pages?  The 14 installer is available for download but the page make it
>>> seem like it's only 9.6-13 which isn't a good look.
>>>
>>> We normally wait for the people who run that end to provide a patch for that -- but that usually leaves us in just
thissituation, with things not properly up to date

>>> Perhaps we should see if EDB can provide a metadata file somewhere on the site that we could scrape down regularly
(say,daily) and have it automated?

>> Since we regularly find ourselves with out of date information here we clearly
>> need to do something, right now we make it seem like 14 isn't available for
>> download a month out from the release.
>>
>> Another option is to just remove the table alltogether and leave the platform
>> support information to the EDB landing page?  Since we don't offer direct
>> downloads via deeplinks, separating the platform support info and the actual
>> download is a bit strange anyways.
>
> Do we have that kind of chart for any other platform downloads?  What
> value is the chart providing, considering it looks very similar to the
> EDB download page.  Seems the chart is just a maintenance burden with
> little value and should be removed, as suggested above.

I thint it formalizes the supported OS per release in a way which the EDB page
doesn't, but I don't think it's necessarily the best place to present this
information as anyone interested would have to flip flop back and forth between
the pages while downloading. Removing it might be the best course of action.