Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/17/21 12:12, Mark Dilger wrote:

>> On Nov 17, 2021, at 9:06 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>
>> I agree it's not ideal. At the time I suggested a more flexible approach
>> I hadn't really thought about the problems of upgrading. If you can come
>> up with something that works there then I'll be all ears.
> Are you talking about upgrades preserving revocations of privileges on gucs from predefined roles, or merely
preservinggrants and revocation of privileges on gucs to regular roles?  I think the former problem is easily handled
bynot shipping any predefined roles with such privileges.  The latter problem would seem to be a mere matter of
programming,something I'm working on but don't have finished.  (But maybe you see dragons ahead for me that I'm not
seeingyet?)

Yes, if we don't ship with any preset privileges then the problem I was
thinking about disappears.

cheers

andrew

--